Ostriches carry on their daily activities burying their heads, believing It’s an Instinctive behavior.
However, one day a research by phylogeneticist Dr. Kays proves otherwise…
Do you know how ostriches bury their heads
when in fear?
Inspired by this myth, HouHou created a satirical short film that reflects our tendency to privilege typical misconceptions over facts in order to preserve an illusion of well-being. With a humoristic and absurd delivery, he addresses several societal and political issues such as freedom of conscience, false knowledge and scientific truth, using the metaphor of the Ostrich. In an era of information overload, where fake news is invading social platforms, HouHou reminds us that our worlds remain fragile…
An incredible storytelling
Saluted for his incredible storytelling, its original writing from a poem by the author himself, the Ostrich Politic challenges us. « From a creative point of view, writing the script was very difficult. I worked a lot to find a balance between narration and images », says HouHou. « Upon writing the script, poetry began to just flow. Afterwards I felt it pushed the overall absurd humor in the film. An Ostrich, who is a Scientist, delivering a Poem! This helped me introduce symbolic representations ».
Awards and selections
BEST ANIMATION: L.A.SHORT FESTIVAL
BAFTA STUDENT FILM AWARDS FINALIST
CLERMONT-FERRAND FILM FESTIVAL – NATIONAL COMPETITION
ANNECY OFFICIAL SELECTION
Other awards and selections
- Best student project at the SIGGRAPH Asia 2019 Festival
- « Students Academy Awards 2019 » finalist
- Best student film – international selection – I castelli Animati Festival (5.10.19)
- Jury Award at Festival International de Courts Métrages de la Côte Bleue (October 2019)
- Winner of the « Audience Award » at the Viborg animation festival in 2018 (Danemark)
- Selected in Cape Town (South Africa), Stuttgart (Germany) and Phnom Penh (Cambodia).
- Staff Pick on VIMEO
- Rights acquired by Arte, broadcasted in the show « COURT CIRCUIT »